Welcome to my bookshelf


I am a voracious reader who is constantly found with her nose in a good (although sometimes not so good) book. I felt the need to share my experiences and suggestions, so here it is. Recommendations and comments are most definitely desired.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Behind the Curtain

Currently Reading: Truth in Advertising

Pg 280: "The simple truth is that we know nothing about the person sitting next to us on the plane, in the subway, the car behind us in traffic. We know nothing unless we choose to listen."

Part of the reason that my posts have been so sporadic over the past couple of months is that I have been terrifically busy with work. I'll admit it, I am a bit of a workaholic. It's not that work is the only thing going on in my life right now, but there is always something to do for it and I feel guilty taking time out to do anything personal. Sure I am still reading like a fiend, but that's because most of my reading comes in stollen moments throughout the day. But even now, as I write this I am thinking about how I should be working on my activity for solving systems using elimination. I am also thinking about how some of my colleagues follow this blog and now I am appearing all lazy and whatnot in their eyes. Oh nos! See, this is why I can't focus on something fun every once in awhile. I am too busy thinking...

Work has entirely taken over the life of Finbar Dolan, a sarcastically witty gentleman who plays the protagonist and role of the narrator throughout The Truth in Advertising. Fin most certainly doesn't love his job, but he has found it slowly taking over his life for the past several years and he no longer knows who he is without it. His thoughts inevitably take tangents into the advertising world and how a certain moment would play out in a 30 second time slot or what product it would be used to sell. I'm not going to lie though, some of this are the most hilarious parts of the book.

Fin is thrust back into the real world when he finds himself no longer engaged, the sole offspring even attempting to care about his dying father, and immersed in a comically pathetic campaign to promote biodegradable, non-toxic, flushable diapers (which turn out to not actually be any of those things). It seems like his life has flown by and well, he just plain missed it. Through a brief friendship with the new owner of the company, a Japanesse man who was given the division as a distraction to keep his hands off his father's actual, important livelihood, Fin eventually takes a step back and reassesses his life. Does he end up leaving the company? No. But despite still being an ad man, his world is definitely a rosier place indeed.

The Truth in Advertising was written by a man who is no stranger to the life of a copywriter in New York City. His allusions to popular ads in our pasts fit perfectly in with the story at hand and even his cover art speaks to the power of suggestion. The cover of the novel is white with the title written several times in an ever increasing font size. The words are red and the font is sort of a cross between cursive and print with expansive flourishes on the capital letters.. Every time I look at it, I think of Coca-Cola. While this was most certainly a fictional tale, I do feel I pay more attention to the thought processes (or lack there of) that went into some of the ads I see. I also think I may attempt to try to (yes, I have to attempt to try) take a breather every now and then. In the words of Tyler Durden and all...

No comments:

Post a Comment